Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mermaid Goddess Quilt Block

I'm getting ready to head to Sisters, OR for the annual quilt week where I take classes, attend lectures, and shop for more fabrics!!  One of the events is the quilt block contest, which I decided to enter this year.  Above is a picture of my quilt block called Mermaid Goddess.  We were provided with the fabrics and had to create our block using no other fabrics.  This is my design with embellishments that include fibers, glitter paint, beads, and charms.  There are many iconic and archetypal imageries.

Update:  July 2012.  Although I didn't win the challenge, my quilt block was included in a quilt by one of the winners who received a group of the challenge blocks.  There is a photo of the complete quilt that is really marvelous with a wonderful interior and a terrific border - and a second photo with a closeup of my block in the quilt.  This quilt was done by challenge winner Charlotte Noll of Florida.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janis, I think this is beautiful. - Your friend Angie from AQS My Quilt Place.

Charlotte said...

Janis

This is Charlotte Noll from Florida.

I LOVED your mermaid block and was so thrilled to get it. Many people commented on it. I'm glad you liked my quilt putting all the wonderful blocks I received together. FYI it has hung in several quilt shows including the recent AQS Lancaster show! Someone told me to google my name and look at all the pictures of my quilts and that's how I found your blog - fun!

I'm finishing up my blocks for this year's Sisters challenge. Did you make any?